Rookie of the Year Patrick Kane had a long and expensive journey to the NHL.
In the Sept. 2 issue of The Hockey News:
• The cover story breaks down the costs of raising an NHL player with the story of 2007-08 Calder Trophy winner Patrick Kane and the sacrifices his parents made to make his big-league dream a reality.
• After speaking with people from both leagues, we examine what kind of impact the new KHL could have on the NHL and what long-term ramifications the new Russian league will have on the North American game.
• For his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell says the recent verdict in the Ryan VandenBussche assault case should be a wakeup call to the NHL.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau joins a handful of pro hockey players for a yoga class with former pro wrestler Trish Stratus to demonstrate how the discipline can be very useful training method for players.
• In Overtime, Mike Brophy looks at what Todd McLellan will bring to the table in San Jose as the new head coach.
• Inside the NHL discusses the possibility of Jay Bouwmeester testing the free agent market next July and profiles the new Sports Museum of America’s elaborate hockey exhibit.
• The 2008 Equipment Buyers’ Guide explains that hockey gear doesn’t have to be as expensive as it may seem; looks at some recently launched lines of apparel; and offers analysis from industry experts on the best gear of 2008.
• On the Opinion Page, Jay Greenberg writes the New York Islanders are basically starting over after getting nowhere on the ice the past few seasons.
• Our 30 NHL team correspondents evaluate their teams’ off-season activity and discuss the most important parts of their 2008-09 schedule.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we profile Don Granato’s return to the bench, defenseman Bryan Helmer’s 15-year trek through the minor leagues and the hype already surrounding potential 2010 No. 1 overall pick Taylor Hall.
• We go Beyond the Spotlight with Maxim Birbraer’s tale of inspiring many Israelis who love hockey.
• Starting from 10 counts down 10 NHL personalities who had really good summers.
• What’s In Your Suitcase reveals what Darren McCarty always packs for road trips.