The Senators Danny Heatley is making $10 million this season in Ottawa.
In the Nov. 3 issue of The Hockey News:
• It’s our annual Bucks and Pucks issue with the salary of every NHL player and a cover story examining the league-wide impact of the spiraling Canadian dollar. As well, former Tampa Bay Lightning GM Jay Feaster provides some tips on how to handle the salary cap.
• A profile on Marty Turco of the Dallas Stars. A player who works just as hard off the ice as he does on it.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell talks about how Scott Niedermayer’s self-imposed absence last season has had a negative trickle-down effect that continues to hurt the club.
• In Overtime, new back-page columnist Eric Duhatschek says the success of the Vancouver Canucks this year will be largely dependent on the play of secondary scorers Alex Burrows, Ryan Kesler and Mason Raymond.
• A feature on the trials and tribulations the Flyers’ Simon Gagne was forced to endure on his road to recovery after suffering a serious concussion last season.
• Senior editor Brian Costello says the Denis Savard firing was just one example of how the Chicago Blackhawks are moving too fast and not letting their team develop in the appropriate way.
• Editor-in-chief Jason Kay explains why a future impact of the current worldwide economic crisis may involve NHL owners seeking increased restrictions on player salaries when the current collective bargaining agreement expires in 2011.
• The Philadelphia Spectrum, which opened in 1967 and will close its doors in 2009, is remembered.
• On the Opinion Page, Jay Greenberg presents some wacky predictions for the upcoming NHL season.
• In Part 1 of 2 of our 2008 Holiday Gift Guide, THN showcases this season’s hottest hockey books.
• Inside the NHL has a Halloween feel as THN lists the NHL’s top 10 scariest players.
•Team Reports looks at the 30 different ownership situations in the NHL.
• In our International Report, we remember the life of New York Ranger prospect Alexei Cherepanov.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we profile Nikita Filatov and Ty Wishart, as well as 2009 NHL Draft hopeful Matt Brown of the Moncton Wildcats and Montreal Canadiens 2005 draft pick Phil Paquet.
• Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam.
• Starting from 10 counts down the players who contributed in a big way in their 2008-09 season debuts.
• NHL depth charts – with first PP unit and “next in line” – for all 30 clubs.
• We go Beyond the Spotlight and examine Ben Stafford, a former Philadelphia Phantoms player who quit hockey and joined the U.S. Marine Corps shortly after winning the Calder Cup in 2004-05 and is now deployed in Iraq.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Readers get their say in Letters to the Editor.
• The Carolina Hurricanes Joe Corvo answers readers questions in Fan Shootout.
• Inside the Numbers takes a look at how NHL teams stack up against one-another in terms of age and provides individual stats for each of the teams in the OHL, QMJHL and WHL.
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!