This week in THN: June 1, 2012
This week in THN: June 1, 2012
In the June 1, 2012 issue of The Hockey News:
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it from the THN store, digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!
• In his editor’s notebook, Jason Kay writes that while the NHL is making great gains in the United States, another work stoppage is possible…and perhaps probable.
• In the THN Inbox, the best letters to the editor are printed, the results of an online poll are revealed and Adam Proteau answers your questions on Brendan Shanahan and Brian Burke in the mailbag.
• Inside Hockey looks at the young players making a case for the 2014 Olympics with their play at the World Championship; father and son equipment managers Stan and Denver Wilson go head-to-head in the Western Conference final; Mike Vaskivuo was let go by Rapid City in the CHL, but earned playoff MVP honors for the champion Fort Wayne Komets; CBA Watch; and more.
• Web editor Rory Boylen and writer Ken Campbell exchange emails about shot-blocking. Which side do you agree with?
• Ken Campbell writes about Kings captain Dustin Brown, who has proven he can lead a team in crunch time. Just don’t expect him to go all Hollywood on us.
• Will this be the craziest summer yet? With so many big names on the block, contenders out of the playoffs early and a couple big-ticket UFAs, this off-season is shaping up to be a dandy.
• Ryan Kennedy shares his first round mock draft for June’s selection process and includes the top five risers, top five fallers and top five players who were overlooked in their first draft years.
• Brad Richards is meeting the sky-high expectations placed upon him after signing a $60 million contract with the Rangers and New York is benefitting from the investment.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau writes that whoever takes over as coach in Washington will have trouble to clean up right off the bat.
• NHL Team Reports look ahead to the off-season as we break down the UFAs and RFAs for each team and what we can expect them to sign for. Plus we check in on the Nashville Predators as more than half the roster hits free agency.
• In Prospect Report, Ryan Kennedy writes that Red Deer Rebels draft eligible defenseman Matt Dumba is dynamic at the junior level and is ready to make an impact in the pro ranks; plus we look at London Knights forward Josh Anderson, who has rocketed up the draft rankings late this season.
• In Backchecking, we catch up with Curt Bennett, who builds waterfalls in tropical Hawaii 20 years after retiring from the NHL.
• Beyond the Spotlight looks at Asia’s aspiring hockey hotbed in Ladkah, India and one man’s story of building up interest in the sport there.
• Last Minute of Play features Larry Humber’s crossword puzzle, the Shawinigan Cataractes military-themed Memorial Cup opener jersey, and more.
• And in overtime, Ken Campbell writes that Dale Hunter didn’t need Washington and that owning and running a successful major junior franchise was more appealing all along.