Martin Brodeur graces the cover as the starting goalie on our All-Decade Team.
In the Jan. 11 issue of The Hockey News:
• With the first decade of the 21st century now behind us, we take a look at the best teams, players and moments from the past 10 years.
• We preview the 2010 Time Warner Cable American League All-Star Classic and look back at some of the league’s all-time greats.
• Jason Kay compares the performances of Martin Brodeur and Nicklas Lidstrom over the past 10 years and makes his pick for player of the decade.
• Ken Campbell names his all-decade team, complete with all-star snipers, shutdown defensemen and fourth-line agitators.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau takes a look at four New Year’s resolutions the NHL should make, including getting back on ESPN and renewing Olympic participation.
• In the Slot with Ken Campbell revisits the 2006 World Junior Championship and how Canada’s victory led to the Toronto Maple Leafs making the worst trade of the decade when they dealt Tuukka Rask.
• Inside the NHL takes a look back at Rick DiPietro’s 15-year contract and what ramifications deals like this will have in the next round of collective bargaining. Also: stories of the past 10 years that left fans amazed and aghast.
• Overtime with Eric Duhatschek examines the Calgary Flames’ recent success and the increased playoff expectations that come with it.
• NHL Team Reports previews what comes next in 2010 for each of the NHL’s 30 franchises.
• Depth charts feature the best possible lineups each NHL team could put together using any player that has suited up for them over the past 10 years.
• In Crowd Shots, we present the best Letters to the Editor, Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam and spend Two Minutes in the Box with the Islanders’ Matt Moulson.
• In Prospects Unlimited we name the top players and stories of the ‘00s in the AHL, NCAA and Europe.
• Inside the Numbers lists the NHL’s top statistical performers over the past decade, as well as each franchise’s top two scorers and winningest goaltender since Jan. 1, 2000.
• Last Minute of Play features Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre cartoon, Larry Humber’s hockey crossword puzzle and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound showcases the Western League’s Prince Albert Raiders classic sweater, which featured a scimitar-wielding sheik as the logo.