Steven Stamkos had 51 goals last season and is off to another hot start in 2010-11.
In the Dec. 6, 2010 edition of The Hockey News:
• In our cover story, we look at the electrifying Steven Stamkos who, after another fast start, has entered the debate of best NHL player.
• In his editor’s notebook, Jason Kay writes that St. Louis and Tampa Bay are the latest teams proving the best route to success is through patience.
• In the THN inbox, the best letters to the editor are featured and Adam Proteau answers your questions on fighting, Dale Hunter and a proposed Semin-for-Kaberle trade.
• Inside Hockey looks at the plethora of backup goalies who have stepped in with tremendous results and questions what their real value is; why the Rochester American of the AHL aren’t happy with their arrangement with the Florida Panthers; and much more.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau writes about the once-mighty New Jersey defense and how it being diminished has affected this year’s team.
• Proteau also writes about the St. Louis Blues, whose deliberate rebuild is starting to pay off after an early-season surge.
• Our team reports look at Bryan McCabe’s strong start in Florida, the coming-of-age of Los Angeles’ kids, plus we break down each team’s depth chart complete with salary cap hits, injuries, spares and who’s available for a call-up from the farm.
• In Overtime, Ken Campbell argues that Toronto GM Brian Burke’s attempt at a quick turnaround has ultimately slowed down the team’s rebuilding process.
• Our Prospect Report features Patrick Koudys of the NCAA’s RPI program; Dougie Hamilton of the Ontario League’s Niagara IceDogs; Luke Adam of the Portland Pirates and Xavier Ouellet of the Quebec League’s Montreal Juniors.
• Backchecking takes a look at Jim Dorey’s historic NHL debut that made him a favorite among Maple Leafs fans and his subsequent jump to the World Hockey Association.
• Beyond the Spotlight looks at the great work done by artist Tony Harris on hockey portraits.
• In Last Minute of Play Larry Humber’s crossword puzzle provides a challenge for readers, Jersey Hound looks at the Yellow and Gold of the Lake Superior State Lakers and we have a Blast from the Past with an image of Gerry James, Pierre Pilote and Glenn Hall in action.