In our annual People of Power ranking, Sidney Crosby remains the face of the NHL.
In the Dec. 29 issue of The Hockey News:
• THN ranks the top movers and shakers in hockey in our 10th annual 100 People of Power and Influence section.
• We also profile three individuals on this year’s list: the “face of the NHL,” Sidney Crosby, NHL owner-in-waiting Jim Balsillie and Kontinental League president Alexander Medvedev.
• Adam Proteau explains why the global economic crisis will likely spell doom for some of the NHL’s financially unstable franchises, including Wayne Gretzky’s Phoenix Coyotes.
• In Overtime, back-page columnist Eric Duhatschek predicts the people and players who will be a fixture on future top 100 People of Power and Influence rankings.
• Editor in chief Jason Kay discusses how Sean Avery has the ability to generate widespread media attention like no other NHL player.
• In a special World Junior Championship section, we profile each country participating and predict which team will hear their anthem played after the final game in Ottawa Jan. 5.
• Inside the NHL takes a look at backup goalies who are making a name for themselves this season, examines a new trend in the league where players are forced to drop the gloves after laying a big hit and remembers the distinguished career of defenseman Hubert ‘Pit’ Martin, who recently passed away in a snowmobiling accident.
• NHL Team Reports look at what the best news has been for each of the 30 NHL clubs so far this year.
• Prospects Unlimited profiles Anaheim Duck prospect Drew Miller, who is trying to establish himself as a consistent NHLer as well as veteran American Leaguer Pierre Parenteau, who is leading the Hartford Wolf Pack in scoring, while waiting for the call from the big club in New York. We also take a look at Tyson Barrie, the son of NHL owner Len Barrie, who is draft eligible for 2009 and Penguins goalie prospect Chad Johnson, who is posting incredible numbers this season for the CCHA’s Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks.
• In Crowd Shots, the best letters to the editor are featured, Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam and we spend 2 Minutes in the Box with Chicago’s Cam Barker.
• In our International Report, we examine how the KHL is following the NHL’s footsteps by staging an outdoor game at Moscow’s Red Square Jan. 10.
• NHL depth charts – with first PP units – for all 30 clubs.
• Inside the Numbers focuses on team and player power play stats.
• Starting From 5 counts down the top all-time scorers at the World Junior Championship.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Snapshots highlights stories that are making headlines in hockey.