Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson graces the cover shortly after playing in his 1,000th NHL game.
In the April 26 issue of The Hockey News:
• In our cover story, we have a look at the Ottawa Senators’ superhero Daniel Alfredsson, who recently eclipsed the 1,000 games played mark.
• Inside the NHL takes a look at NHL referee’s leaving the game and what it means to the league, man-games lost due to injuries and if being hot at the end of the season helps in the playoffs.
• In The Slot, Ken Campbell features 40-year-old Nicklas Lidstrom, one of the best defensemen in the league and gives us hope that turning 40 isn’t all that bad.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau explains why changing the playoffs to include all 30 teams would cheapen the experience.
• Plus/Minus presents the best and worst from around the hockey world.
• In Fresh Legs, Carolina Hurricanes rookie Jamie McBain remembers his first NHL game.
• We show you our best Letters to the Editor and Adam Proteau answers your hockey questions in Ask Adam.
• NHL Team Reports looks at all the feel good stories from each club.
• We look at the best from around the AHL, NCAA and CHL in Prospects Unlimited, featuring Louie Caporusso and Brandon Gormley. We also tell you what’s going on in the KHL and Europe in the International Report, featuring Josef Vasicek.
• Inside the Numbers looks at all the individual stats and standings from around the other leagues including ECHL, CHL, NCAA and the KHL.
• Get the latest depth charts, including who’s on the first power play unit, who’s injured and who’s next in line for a call-up.
• Last Minute of Play features Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre, Larry Humber’s crossword puzzle and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound, which features a certain No. 4 jersey valued at $100,000.
• In Overtime, Eric Duhatschek looks at the Phoenix Coyotes and how they made their unusual run to the playoffs.
• And a look into a $60-million lawsuit that has Sergei Fedorov searching for his money from a former stable boy.