This Week: April 1
Daniel Alfredsson of the Ottawa Senators is having a strong offensive season and will lead a dangerous attack come playoff time.
This Week: April 1
In the April 1 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story discusses Ottawa’s up-then-down season and why they shouldn’t be counted out come playoff time.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell proposes a new idea for how to make sure NHL teams stay more disciplined when signing players to new contracts.
• The Hockey News brings you the second annual NHL GM Rankings, from 1-30. Who tops this year’s list?
• In Overtime, senior writer Mike Brophy highlights the most frustrating aspects of the playoffs.
• Inside the NHL: The top free-agent pickups from 2007, highlighting the luck of the NHL draft lottery and Nikolai Zherdev’s emergence – finally - as an NHL star.
• In his Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay questions how much of the Ray Emery situation is fact and how much is extrapolated by the media.
• On the Opinion Page, Mike Loftus profiles potential Norris Trophy candidate, Zdeno Chara.
• In our Ask The Experts feature, we answer why you can’t use the wraparound in a shootout and what role minor leagues play.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau asks why there isn’t more uproar about the state of the Panthers franchise, and explains why it should be the first team looked at for relocation.
• Our Team Reports look at players to watch as the season comes to a close.
• Your letters to the editor deal with Daniel Carcillo and Tie Domi, Carey Price’s snub in our ‘Fab Frosh Five,’ more ads on the ice, boring hockey games and an argument for bringing another franchise to Canada.
• Beyond The Spotlight reveals Wally Kozak’s near death experience and the players who saved his life.
• In Fresh Legs – our welcome to the NHL feature – we highlight Maple Leafs rearguard, Anton Stralman.
• Our Plus/Minus looks at the best and worst of the hockey world.
• In Snapshots, the good side of having players mic’d, and the shockingly low salary of the lineup the Blackhawks iced March 4.
• Inside The Numbers has unique NHL stats.
• Updated NHL depth charts.
• 2 Minutes In The Box with Niklas Hagman.
• Starting From 10 counts down the players who engaged in their first NHL fight this season.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we cover players and teams from the AHL, NCAA and CHL; give you the inside-scoop on minor pro leagues across North America; and profile Ondrej Pavelec, Kyle Okposo, James Livingston and Justin Mrazek.