On the weekend at thn.com:
Jason Kay analyzes the goalies in the Vezina race and comes out with his top five, in his blog.
In his blog, Brian Costello says the Leafs and Lightning don’t have much to look forward to out of their prospect lists.
Pittsburgh 4, Washington 2 (story/highlights)
- Sidney Crosby had two goals and Evgeni Malkin had three assists.
Tampa Bay 3, Columbus 5 (story/highlights)
- Nikolai Zherdev and Rick Nash had two assists while Pascal Leclaire stopped 24 shots.
Nashville 3, Detroit 4 (story/highlights)
- Johan Franzen scored two goals including the game-winner and Nick Lidstrom had two assists.
Edmonton 6, Chicago 5 (OT) (story/highlights)
- Andrew Cogliano scored two including the game-winner and Sam Gagner recorded two assists.
Boston 0, New York Rangers 1 (SO) (story)
- Nigel Dawes scored the only shootout goal and Henrik Lundqvist earned a 29-save shutout.
San Jose 3, Minnesota 2 (SO) (story/highlights)
- Evgeni Nabokov made 21 saves and Patrick Marleau scored the shootout-winner.
Montreal 1, Anaheim 3 (story/highlights)
- J-S Giguere turned aside 20 shots and Chris Kunitz scored the game-winning goal.
Colorado 0, Dallas 3 (story/highlights)
- Brad Richards and Mike Modano each had two points and Marty Turco stopped 19 shots for the shutout.
Click HERE for NHL standings.
News and Views…
Boston: Zdeno Chara is day-to-day with an upper body injury… Recalled Matt Lashoff from Providence.
Chicago: Ben Eager is out indefinitely with a shoulder separation… Kevyn Adams returned after missing 53 game with a torn ACL.
Colorado: Peter Forsberg is day-to-day with a groin injury.
Columbus: Michael Peca returned after missing a game with a knee injury.
Dallas: Matt Niskanen is day-to-day with a sore back… Krys Barch returned from the flu and Dan Jancevski was recalled from Iowa.
Detroit: Darren McCarty, Tomas Holmstrom and Brett Lebda are day-to-day… Nicklas Lidstrom returned after missing six games with a knee injury.
Edmonton: Geoff Sanderson is day-to-day with a back injury, while Ladislav Smid returned from a knee injury.
Florida: Greg Stoda of the Palm Beach Post, writes that the Panthers are putting hockey on the map in Florida in March, though it’s probably too late to make it to the post-season. (more...)
Los Angeles: Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times writes about the meeting GM Dean Lombardi had with season-ticket holders. (more...)
Minnesota: Eric Belanger is day-to-day with a leg injury.
Montreal: Tomas Plekanec is day-to-day with a virus.
Nashville: David Legwand is day-to-day with a foot injury.
Ottawa: The Senators have made Martin Gerber their No. 1 goalie for the rest of the way, writes Allen Panzeri of the Ottawa Sun. (more...)
Tampa Bay: Filip Kuba returned from a knee injury that kept him out of six games.
Vancouver: Nathan McIver was assigned to Manitoba.
What’s on tap…
N.Y. Rangers at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m.
St. Louis at Calgary, 9:00 p.m.
Vancouver at Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m.
The Hockey News Daily Dish, a roundup of all the previous day’s news, appears each morning only on THN.com.