Vintage Thief River Falls High School jersey (photo courtesy of The Ryan Kennedy Collection)
With high school playoffs underway in some of hockey's traditional American hotbeds, it's time to count down some of the more wonderful and obscure team names dotting the landscape.
High school hockey is still popular in traditional American markets and is beginning to take hold in other states. The Anaheim Ducks, for example, have grown a great league in California in a very short amount of time. Those teams should be applauded for their efforts, but they do have some catching up to do. Not just in producing college players and NHLers, but also in their names (no offense to all the Eagles and Wildcats out there). Check out the best high school hockey names I've come across, mining admittedly from traditional hotbeds:
10. The Gunnery Highlanders (Conn.)
9. Moorhead Spuds (Minn.)
8. Houghton Gremlins (Mich.)
7. Beaver Dam Golden Beavers (Wisc.)
6. Mahtomedi Zephyrs (Minn.)
5. Choate Rosemary Hall Wild Boars (Conn.)
4. Northfield-Mt. Hermon Hoggers (Mass.)
3. Eau Claire Memorial Old Abes (Wisc.)
2. Kingsford Flivvers* (Mich.)
1. Thief River Falls Prowlers (Minn.)
*What is a "Flivver" you ask? It's early 20th century slang for a small car that gave a rough ride, according to Wikipedia.