News

Senators’ MacArthur ‘encouraged’ by body’s reaction after suffering another concussion

Jared Clinton
By:
MacArthur encouraged by health after latest concussion

Clarke MacArthur

Author: Jana Chytilova/NHLI via Getty Images

News

Senators’ MacArthur ‘encouraged’ by body’s reaction after suffering another concussion

Jared Clinton
By:

Clarke MacArthur isn’t giving up after his latest concussion and said that he intends to try to make a comeback to the Ottawa Senators as soon as he can.

Clarke MacArthur’s concussion symptoms in November and December of 2015 were such that the 31-year-old admitted he thought he could be forced into retirement, and that made the most recent concussion MacArthur suffered during a Senators training camp scrimmage feel as though it could be devastating news for the 31-year-old winger.

MacArthur’s concussion came Sunday when defenseman Patrick Sieloff crushed MacArthur along the boards during an inter-squad game, and the hit left MacArthur down on the ice for a short while before he was helped off the ice by teammates. Following the scrimmage, Senators GM Pierre Dorion announced MacArthur had suffered a concussion and had been driven home to rest. It appears the time away from the rink immediately following the concussion has helped MacArthur, too.

Less than a week after suffering the concussion, MacArthur announced via his Instagram that there are some positive signs so far in his recovery and that he’s going to be fighting to make it back into action in the near future.

“We have been encouraged by how my body has reacted in the days since the injury and the team has been great giving me all the time I need to rest and recover,” MacArthur wrote. “I will continue to consult with doctors and my entire support group, but I felt it was important to let everyone know that my intentions are to work towards returning to the ice soon.”

In addressing his health, MacArthur also took the time to write about the hit from Sieloff, one that resulted in fights between he and Bobby Ryan, and a second dustup with Chris Neil. The fallout from the hit saw Sieloff told to take part in a later practice in order to avoid any further fights between teammates. However, MacArthur called the entire incident a “hockey play.”

“To me, it was simply a hockey play that ended in a hit causing me to suffer a concussion,” MacArthur wrote. “A play that could happen at any point.”

It would be outstanding for the Senators — and even more so for MacArthur — if he was able to full recover and get back into action before the season begins. He was limited to just four games during the 2015-16 season due to concussions and related issues, and he’s an important part of the Senators’ roster when he’s able to suit up.

During his first two seasons in Ottawa, MacArthur scored 40 goals and 91 points in 141 games while averaging second-line minutes, and he signed a five-year, $23.25-million contract with the Senators in August 2014. The concussion issues this past season mean he has only played four games under the contract, though.

Want more in-depth features and expert analysis on the game you love? Subscribe to The Hockey News magazine.

Comments
Share X
News

Senators’ MacArthur ‘encouraged’ by body’s reaction after suffering another concussion