Clarke MacArthur won’t be able to return to the Senators’ the lineup this season after suffering his fourth concussion in 18 months. MacArthur was injured during a training camp scrimmage and last suited up on Oct. 14, 2015.
For the second straight season, a concussion has cost Clarke MacArthur a year of his career.
According to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion announced Friday morning that MacArthur, despite his best efforts to return to the lineup, has been ruled out for the remainder of the campaign. TSN’s Dean Brown added that Dorion indicated MacArthur, 31, met with several doctors and the assessment was that MacArthur shouldn’t play this season. The ruling from the doctors has left the veteran winger “devastated.”
MacArthur had been skating off and on with the club over the past couple of months in an attempt to get back onto the ice for game action in what has now been more than 15 months. MacArthur was last able to play in an Oct. 14, 2015 game against the Columbus Blue Jackets, but after skating only 6:05 in that outing, MacArthur hit the shelf and he’s yet to return.
The major concussion issues started during the 2015-16 campaign when MacArthur suffered two head injuries in less than a month spanning across the pre-season and into the early days of the regular season. Those two concussions left MacArthur questioning whether he’d be able to return to the game, which made his comeback to the Senators to start the campaign so great to see. However, only days into training camp, MacArthur was injured again, suffering a concussion on a dangerous hit from teammate Patrick Sieloff in a training camp scrimmage.
Shortly after suffering that concussion, MacArthur took to Instagram to announce that he was “encouraged by how my body has reacted in the days since the injury” and said that he had intended to return this season. Unfortunately, per Dorion’s announcement Friday, that won’t be the case.
In December, MacArthur acknowledged that returning to action following four concussions in roughly 18 months didn’t come without any uncertainties, but said he felt it was something he needed to do in order to fulfill some of the five-year, $23.25-million deal that kicked in to start the 2015-16 season.
“It’s a risk,” MacArthur told Garrioch in early December. “For sure it’s a risk but it’s my risk, but I feel I’ve completely come around full circle…I haven’t been able to fulfil anything in this contract I’ve signed, and that’s a kind of cloud over top of me.”
Dorion said this isn’t necessarily the end of the line for MacArthur, however. According to Garrioch, MacArthur will continue to work out and his aim is to return tot he lineup at some point in the future.
Want more in-depth features and expert analysis on the game you love? Subscribe to The Hockey News magazine.