1. Be Prepared. Do your homework and ready a list of your top 200 or so picks. Trust your instincts and stick to your draft strategy - on when will you take goalies or defencemen, for example.
2. Power Plays. With the continuing crackdown on stick infractions and obstruction, power play production will boom again this year. You will want as many of these specialists as possible. And determine who might be on the second power play units for picks later in the draft.
3. Avoid Injury Risks. You can't whine about how injuries have killed your pool team if you drafted the likes of Forsberg, Lindros and Jovanovski. You should have other options, so stay away from the risky picks.
4. Upsides Rule. Circle or star the dozen or so players with breakout potential and go get them at the most opportune time. It's those shrewd mid-round and late-round picks, the sleepers with great upside, that'll put you over the top.
5. Relax and Enjoy. It's only a pool, right? Laugh, poke fun at your opponents and if you really want a player from your favourite team, go for it. You homer.