FILE - This is a Feb. 11, 2012, file photo showing Pittsburgh Penguins\' Kris Letang (58) during an NHL hockey game against the Winnipeg Jets in Pittsburgh. Letang will be out for six-plus weeks after having a stroke. Penguins general manager Ray Shero announced Friday, Feb. 7, 2014, that Letang had a stroke last week. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)
PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Pittsburgh Penguins defenceman Kris Letang will be out for six-plus weeks after having a stroke.
Penguins general manager Ray Shero announced Friday that Letang had a stroke last week. Shero says Letang will be treated with blood thinners, adding the stroke is not expected to threaten his career.
Letang's last game was Jan. 27 against Buffalo. He has 10 goals—matching a career high—and 18 assists in 34 games this season for the Eastern Conference-leading Penguins.
He signed a $58 million, eight-year contract extension last summer when he was entering the last year of his deal.
Letang says he hopes letting the public know about his stroke will encourage people to seek medical help if they experience symptoms associated with a stroke.