News

Ownership of storied Maple Leafs a complex saga dating back to 1927

The Canadian Press
By:
The Hockey News
News

Ownership of storied Maple Leafs a complex saga dating back to 1927

The Canadian Press
By:

TORONTO - 1927: Conn Smythe organizes investors to purchase hockey franchise Toronto St. Pat's, renames the team to Toronto Maple Leafs.

1931: Corporate reorganization results in Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd.

1961: Smythe sells the company to a consortium that includes Harold Ballard.

1972: Ballard becomes majority owner.

1991: Grocery store magnate Steve Stavro leads a group of investors that purchases the company from Ballard's estate.

1994: Ontario Teachers Pension Plan invests $50 million to claim a 49 per cent stake in the company.

1996: Larry Tanenbaum, chief executive of construction firm Kilmer Van Nostrand Co., acquires 25 per cent stake in the company.

1998: Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd. rechristened Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment after acquiring the NBA's Toronto Raptors and the Air Canada Centre, the Leafs new home arena.

2003: Stavro sells his 15 per cent stake to CTVGlobeMedia. Reorganization and a new corporate structure grant Teachers a controlling interest in the company, with Tanenbaum serving as non-executive chairman.

2008: CTVGlobeMedia sells half its 15 per cent stake to Tanenbaum.

2009: Teachers acquires the remainder of CTVGlobeMedia's share in the company, giving it a controlling interest of 79.5 per cent. Tanenbaum's holding company Kilmer Sports Inc.holds the remaining 20.5 per cent.

2011: Teachers sells its share to Rogers Communications and BCE for $1.07 billion. Tanenbaum, through Kilmer, increases his stake to 25 per cent.

Comments
Share X
News

Ownership of storied Maple Leafs a complex saga dating back to 1927