Shane Doan has set a couple of deadlines since July 1, but his future is still up in the air. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
It's increasingly apparent right winger Shane Doan is in no hurry to leave the Phoenix Coyotes.
Despite considerable interest around the league (reportedly by as many as 16 teams), Doan's agent, Terry Bross, claimed his client was still awaiting clarification regarding the sale of the Coyotes to an ownership group headed by former San Jose Sharks executive Greg Jamison.
Bross told The Arizona Republic they're hearing “tidbits” around the league that the sale will get done, but hasn't heard anything new from the Jamison group. He hopes for more word from Jamison on Friday.
Bross again suggested if no reassurance of a sale is forthcoming, Doan will have little choice but to consider the offers he's already received.
Doan's obvious first choice is to re-sign with the Coyotes. Bross claimed he'd had talks with GM Don Maloney, but that they’d stalled until the ownership situation is resolved.
The Kings, Red Wings, Sharks, Penguins, Canucks and Sabres have reportedly made offers to the Doan camp. The Rangers are believed to be interested, while the Predators would also be keen to speak with Doan should he decide to move on.
For now, Doan's fate remains tied to the sale of his long-time team.
SHEA WEBER OFFER SHEET AFTERMATH
In the wake of the Philadelphia Flyers’ 14-year, $110-million offer sheet signed by Shea Weber, more light is being shed upon the Predators’ attempts to trade him before he accepted the contract.
TSN's Darren Dreger reported the Predators were given a “heads-up” of the defenseman's intentions, which gave them the opportunity to trade Weber before he signed.
Dreger claimed several teams were involved (the Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks, as well as the Flyers), but “the stakes proved too high.”
For the Flyers, those stakes included young centers Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn, who the Predators were supposedly asking for as part of a return.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is rumored to have rejected a similar request for the pair last month from the Anaheim Ducks in trade discussions regarding right winger Bobby Ryan.
Following the news of Weber's offer sheet, Predators GM David Poile released a statement reminding the hockey world of their previous claim they would match any offer for their captain, but stated they would need time to evaluate “the complexity” of the Flyers’ offer.
That's understandable, considering the offer is heavily front-loaded with more than $68 million in “signing bonuses” spread over the first six years of the contract.
As a result, the Predators’ ownership has to decide if it can comfortably afford paying Weber so much money so early in the deal. Don't be surprised if the team uses the full seven-day period to consider its options before reaching a decision.
CHICAGO LOOKING TO ADD THROUGH FREE AGENCY OR TRADE
Teams that lose out on the bidding for Doan will have to consider the remaining slim pickings of this summer's free agent market.
CSNChicago.com's Jeremy Lynn speculated the options for the Chicago Blackhawks. If GM Stan Bowman wants to add an “offense-only” player, Lynn suggested former Capitals right winger Alexander Semin, or, if Bowman wants depth at center, Jason Arnott.
Lynn also noted available defensemen include Carlo Colaiacovo, Pavel Kubina, Michal Rozsival and Matt Gilroy.
It remains to be seen if any of those players interest Bowman, who may instead turn to the trade market.
One Blackhawk who won't be trade bait, according to CBC.ca's Elliotte Friedman, is Patrick Kane.
Despite some concerns over Kane's partying antics at a Wisconsin university this spring, Friedman claimed teams have been told the 23-year-old isn't going anywhere, as Bowman feels “a sense of responsibility” toward the young forward.
POOL OF NASH SUITORS DRYING UP
The Sharks are among the six teams on Columbus Blue Jackets right winger Rick Nash's list of preferred trade destinations, but their interest in Nash seems to be waning.
Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com cited a source who claimed the Sharks and Blue Jackets haven't held any discussions regarding Nash “in months.” That isn't surprising, as the Jackets wanted center Logan Couture in return, which is a “non-starter” for the Sharks.
Kurz also cited a source who dismissed a rumor that the Sharks were on the verge of dealing defenseman Dan Boyle to the Rangers for right winger Marian Gaborik and called it “completely false.”
The Bruins are also on Nash's list, but a source told ESPN.com's James Murphy Boston had dropped out of the sweepstakes and cited the Jackets’ high asking price.
It's rumored the Jackets sought “any combination of center David Krejci, left winger Milan Lucic, center Tyler Seguin and blueline prospect Dougie Hamilton.”
If the Bruins are out, the Sharks lose interest and the Blue Jackets aren’t unwilling to deal Nash to the Red Wings, that shrinks the list down to three teams: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and the Rangers.
Should the Flyers offer sheet to Weber prove successful, that'll take them out of the Nash market and reduce the interested parties to only the Penguins and Rangers.
Of that pair, the Rangers have the depth in both established young players and prospects to make the best offer for Nash.
The Blueshirts made their best pitch prior to last season's trade deadline, but the Blue Jackets are holding out for more. If the Rangers turn out to be the only club willing to deal anything of substance for Nash, Jackets management will have little choice but to accept their best offer.
Murphy's source also claimed the Bruins held “exploratory talks” with the Ducks regarding Ryan, but GM Peter Chiarelli was unwilling to part with Krejci and Lucic.
Rumor Roundup appears Monday-Friday only on thehockeynews.com. Lyle Richardson has been an NHL commentator since 1998 on his website, spectorshockey.net, and is a contributing writer for Eishockey News, Kukla's Korner and The Guardian, Charlottetown.