What would St. Patrick’s Day be without a surly tussle?
In what has to be one of the more unlikely events of the season, the first-place St. Louis Blues and likely non-playoff team Winnipeg Jets got into it at the end of the Blues’ 3-1 win.
The incident started when Dustin Byfuglien chased Blues defensemen Roman Polak and Barret Jackman into the corner in a desperate attempt to keep the puck in the zone and gain possession off the last-seconds draw. Byfuglien took a slash at one and bodychecked both and the two defenders wanted a piece of ‘Big Buff’ and that’s when all hell broke loose.
Nothing Byfuglien did before the shenanigans was illegal, except for a possible two-minute slashing call. But after the shenanigans? A total of 100 penalty minutes were logged on the game sheet at 19:59 of the third period. But only two fighting majors were handed out: Blake Wheeler and Barret Jackman.
This was more of a shoving and dancing match than a brawl and pales in comparison to either Capitals-Flyers brawl this season. Suspensions? I don’t think so.
Here are five takeaways from the scuffle.
1. Dustin Byfuglien is as much a beast as he ever was
2. Barrett Jackman’s stone stare would make Chuck Norris pee a little.
3. Ryan Reaves is a party starter
4. Reaves vs. Byfuglien needs to happen
5. Maxim Lapierre picks Olli Jokinen and is as big a punk as he ever was. Even the announcers know it.