• SHARE:
  • email
  • Bookmark and Share

Lines of communication open in NHL labour fight. Negotiations could resume this week

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, right, and deputy commissioner Bill Daly speak to reporters, Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, in New York. The NHL has rejected the players' latest offer for a labor deal, and negotiations have broken off at least until the weekend. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Zoom Image

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, right, and deputy commissioner Bill Daly speak to reporters, Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, in New York. The NHL has rejected the players' latest offer for a labor deal, and negotiations have broken off at least until the weekend. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

NEW YORK, N.Y. - The NHL and the locked-out players' association are talking again, and a return to the bargaining table could happen soon.

After a few days to cool off following an epic collapse in negotiations, the league and the union have been in touch with each other in an attempt to restart conversations that could save the hockey season.

"Trying to set up something for this week, but nothing finalized yet," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote Sunday in an email to The Associated Press.

Negotiations broke down Thursday night after three straight days of talks at a New York hotel. Moments after players' association executive director Donald Fehr said he believed the sides were closing in on a deal to end the lockout, he was back at the podium to announce the NHL had rejected the union's latest offer.

Commissioner Gary Bettman followed him and angrily stated that the sides weren't close, and added he didn't know why Fehr thought they were.

The tone has changed a bit since then. Whether it has shifted far enough for the sides to come to an agreement soon remains to be seen.

On Friday, Daly said he was at a loss how to get the bargaining process back on track.

"I have no reason, nor any intention, of reaching out to the union right now," Daly said in an email to the AP. "I have no new ideas. Maybe they do. We are happy to listen."

All games have been cancelled through Friday, and more games will surely be wiped off the schedule soon. Bettman said Thursday that he won't allow a season to be played that contains fewer than 48 games per team—the length of the season that was played after a lockout ended in January 1995.

Fehr repeated on Saturday his feeling that the sides aren't all that far apart.

"My comments from a couple of days ago stand on their own. I think we were very close," Fehr told reporters after addressing a Canadian Auto Workers council meeting.

The lockout has resulted in the cancellation of 422 regular-season games along with the New Year's Day Winter Classic and the All-Star game.

The NHL is in danger of losing its second full season in seven years. The lockout that forced the cancellation of the 2004-05 season marked the first time a North American professional sports league had a full campaign wiped out by a labour dispute. The agreement that was finally reached back then expired this September, leading to a lockout being imposed again on Sept. 16.

More Stories

Canadiens star defenceman P.K. Subban keeps quiet about contract negotiations

MONTREAL - Star defenceman P.K. Subban is keeping quiet about negotiations on a new contract...

Communication is key: Habs coach talked to team leaders about Tokarski decision

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Canadiens coach Michel Therrien says he consulted with team leaders after...

Daniel Alfredsson says contract negotiations with Sens 'went nowhere'

OTTAWA - Fans hoping to get a clearer picture of why Daniel Alfredsson left the Ottawa Senators...

Person familiar with the negotiations says Harris could add Devils to portfolio by Thursday

NEWARK, N.J. - A person familiar with the negotiations says Philadelphia 76ers owner Josh Harris...
blog comments powered by Disqus

THN on Twitter

If the NHL took steps to virtually eradicate fighting, do you think its players would be more safe or less safe?




Contests

Our Partners