• With the NHL season up in the air, the Lottery Watch begins, as two electrifying prospects, Seth Jones and Nathan MacKinnon, vie to be chosen first overall in the 2013 draft.
• In his editor’s notebook, Jason Kay explains how THN is a forum for hockey-related thoughts of all kinds.
• The best letters to the editor are printed in the THN Inbox, plus the results of an online poll are revealed and Adam Proteau answers questions on Tim Thomas’ cap hit and Pavel Datsyuk.
• Inside Hockey looks at how a lost season would impact some older NHLers, who might never play again; plus-minus takes a look at the best and worst in the hockey world; we analyze how the AHL stands to benefit from an NHL lockout; Paul Stewart has a new gig in the Kontinental League; is the sophomore slump fact or fiction?; and a KHL game was played in a Roman amphitheater in Croatia.
• With NHL hockey at a standstill, THN runs through a major junior preview, with projected standings of all three circuits and features on the Kitchener Rangers, Edmonton Oil Kings and Quebec Remparts.
• For the 25th anniversary of the 1987 Canada, we present an oral history of the tournament from some of Canada’s players and coach Mike Keenan.
• No NHL? No problem. Adam Proteau writes where he’ll get his hockey fix this winter.
• NHL team reports present depth charts for all 30 NHL teams, with features on new Capitals coach Adam Oates, the Kings’ ability to make another run at the Stanley Cup, and much more.
• Beyond the Spotlight visits Maple Leaf Gardens, which was turned into a grocery store, with an upstairs hockey arena that houses Ryerson University’s hockey team.
• Backchecking catches up with Brad Maxwell, who endured some crazy on- and off-ice antics in his time as an NHLer.
• In Last Minute of Play, Larry Humber’s crossword puzzle provides readers with a challenge, and Jersey Hound shows off the look of the new Penn State hockey team.
• And in overtime, Ken Campbell writes that, after the NHL-NHLPA CBA war ends, the players’ association should work on representing players further down the food chain.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now