• Dustin Brown, Jonathan Quick and the boys are Kings of the World after taking down the New Jersey Devils in six games. Ken Campbell followed the series between Newark and Hollywood and writes about the drought-ending win.
• In his editor’s notebook, Jason Kay reacts to fictitious questions with the same fashion Rangers coach John Tortorella might handle them.
• The THN Inbox includes the best letters to the editor, shows the results of a recent online poll and Adam Proteau answers your questions on Tim Thomas and Gary Bettman.
• Inside Hockey looks at the upcoming Hall of Fame class and who will be considered; the hiring of Michel Therrien in Montreal raises questions about how taskmasters handle today’s NHLers; after the Florida Everblades won the ECHL’s Kelly Cup, the team honored defenseman David Fischer, who had to leave during the run to be with his dying mother; we name the best 2012 draft prospects in certain attractive attributes; and the 1967-68 Clinton Comets of the defunct Eastern League finally got their championship rings 44 years after winning the title.
• Nicklas Lidstrom personified perfection and we reflect on one of the best careers of all-time by a defenseman.
• NHL Team Reports list depth charts and look ahead to free agency for all 30 NHL teams, plus we look at the budding homegrown talent in the Phoenix organization and more.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau catches up with the real ‘Goon’ the movie was inspired by, Doug Smith.
• Prospect Report looks Anton Zlobin, who didn’t fit on his junior team in Russia and ended up with the QMJHL’s Shawinigan Cataractes where he was the hero in a Memorial Cup win; plus we also catch up with Stanislav Galiev, who is still hungry for NHL success after two Memorial Cup runs; we also look at the improbable run to the AHL’s Calder Cup by the unbeatable Norfolk Admirals.
• In Last Minute of Play, Larry Humber’s crossword puzzle provides a challenge; Jersey Hound features the Louisiana IceGators of the ECHL; and the Blast From the Past shows an elated Claude Lemieux winning the Cup with Montreal.
• and finally, in Overtime, Ken Campbell writes that the Los Angeles Kings may be the darling of the city now, but it won’t be long until they’re relegated to the back page again.