In the Jan. 30 issue of The Hockey News:
• It’s the Goalie Issue, so we stand in the blue paint and talk everything between the posts in our annual edition.
• In his editor’s notebook, Jason Kay writes from the angle of the goalie, proving a geometry lecture on the problems with the trapezoid.
• In Inside Hockey, we talk to ex-NHLer Sean Burke about the difference for goalies at the All-Star Game; Adam Proteau goes to the movies to review the new hockey flick Goon; From Gump Worsley to Pekka Rinne we take a look at how ‘tenders have gotten bigger over the years; and much more.
• Former NHLer Jamie McLennan writes in to discuss the mental games and strains of netminders.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau gives the ‘D’ some credit for a goalie’s success, arguing that a great defense is often your best goaltender.
• In Team Reports, we look at part-time comedians and full-time goaltenders Ilya Bryzgalov and Marc-Andre Fleury and explore how their personalities impact the team around them; Pekka Rinne talks to us about how he made his first pair of homemade pads and his rise into the NHL; and Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford tells us about the importance of forgetting and how letting go has bettered his game.
• In Prospect Report we scout Russian goalie Andrei Vasilevski who made a name for himself in North America at the World Junior Championship; Ottawa 67’s star netminder Petr Mrazek’s dramatic saves, strong personality and stellar saves are profiled; Sharks AHL goalie Tyson Sexsmith talks about his younger days and looks ahead to his shot at the big leagues.
• The Hockey News pays tribute to the late former Blues GM Ron Caron who was known as one of the most colorful personalities the game has seen.
• In Last Minute of Play, Larry Humber’s crossword puzzle provides a challenge, Jersey Hound answers the Latvian squad ASK Ogre, profiling the team’s day-glo yellow and beaver-clad jerseys.
• And finally, in Overtime, Ken Campbell talks about the stresses on goalies and their parents.