In the Nov 7, 2011 edition of The Hockey News:
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it from the THN store, digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!
• Ken Campbell kicks The Money Issue off with a look at the economics of the mid-market Nashville Predators: can the Music City team conquer their free agency blues?
• Also in The Money Issue: Christian Ehrhoff’s big payday, the 1-2-3’s of the next CBA, and Moneyball done hockey-style.
• In the Ask Adam mailbag this week: remembering the Thrashers, the Calgary Flames at a crossroads, and the consequences of the latest “Shanabans.”
• Editor-in-chief Jason Kay muses about the largesse of today’s professional athletes in his notebook.
• Mo’ money, mo’ problems: former Hurricanes defenseman Aaron Ward reflects on the financial pitfalls professional athletes face. Also in Inside Hockey: the former NHLer turned ECHL veteran, and THN’s Art Director Erika Vanderveer’s latest update about balancing work and playing in the Canadian Women’s League.
• A double dose of the Prospect Report: Ducks first round pick Kyle Palmieri goes back to school, while 2012 draft-eligible forward A.J. Michaelson lights it up in the USHL.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau examines the (mis)fortunes of NHL franchises in deep financial trouble – how did we get here?
• A tale of two Matthews: Matt Duchene leads the young Avs in his third year while Matt Lombardi shows the Leafs he’s worth every penny of his $3.5 million contract.
• A special financial version of the Team Reports, with bargains, busts, and budgets for every team.
• The incredible perseverance of Nicholas Giroux, the teen who’s still stymieing shooters for his New Brunswick team…on one leg.
• In last minute of play, Jersey Hound features the KHL Avtomobilists and Jack Adams gets happy in the Blast From the Past.
• In Overtime, Ken Campbell wonders if players really need a slice of the NHL’s economic pie.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now