• In our cover story we explore the question: Is Nicklas Lidstrom the best 40-year-old the NHL has ever seen? The veteran Red Wing defender is still a Norris Trophy favorite despite his age.
• In his Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay writes how Lidstrom’s health record is uncanny, especially with the number of injuries you see in today’s NHL.
• Inside Hockey takes a look at the Kontinental League’s skills competition, which were played to dimmed lights; how NHLers are affected by trades and even trade rumors; we prepare you for trade deadline with a list of buyers and sellers; and more.
• In Overtime, Ken Campbell writes about how ridiculous goalie fights are, but why they’ll always be around.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau writes about Minnesota’s Martin Havlat, who is having a solid season after disappointing in his first go-around with the Wild.
• We look at Dallas’ Brad Richards, who is having a profound impact on the team as its productive and vocal leader.
• In the THN Inbox, the best letters to the editor are printed; Charlie Teljeur’s ‘The Instigator’ cartoon provides a laugh; we post results of a recent THN.com poll; Adam Proteau answers your questions; and plus-minus features the best and worst of the hockey world.
• Our Team Reports look at Carolina rookie Jeff Skinner, who is maintaining a level head despite his rookie success; we take a crack at writing a story about Daniel Sedin without including his brother; we have depth charts for all 30 NHL teams, complete with power play units, injuries, cap hits, next in line for a call-up and more.
• The Prospect Report looks at Zach Phillips of the Saint John Sea Dogs; Dmitri Jaskin of Slavia Praha in the Czech League; Jamie Oleksiak of the Northeastern Huskies; and Johan Larsson from Brynas of the Swedish Elite League.
• In Beyond the Spotlight, Dennis Maruk, who once scored 60 goals for the Washington Capitals, is featured.
• In Last Minute of Play, Larry Humber’s crossword puzzle provides a challenge; Jersey Hound looks at the Owen Sound Attack throwbacks; and our Blast from the Past features Johnny Bower in a very early goalie mask.