After being relegated to the backup slot last spring, Carey Price has come up big in Montreal this season.
In the Jan. 31, 2011 edition of The Hockey News:
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it from the THN store, digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!
• In our annual Goalie Issue, we look at the rise of Carey Price in Montreal only a few months after Jaroslav Halak became the No. 1 goaltender in the playoffs for the Habs.
• Philadelphia’s rookie goalie sensation, Sergei Bobrovsky, has taken to North American hockey life, but next up is for the Russian native to learn English.
• Where have all the great Canadian goalies gone? Ken Campbell explores whether or not Canada’s goalie factory is sputtering out.
• Two years after winning the Vezina and one year after losing the starter’s job in Boston, Tim Thomas is back as a favorite to win the NHL’s top goalie award.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau argues that, despite an off-year, Martin Brodeur’s legacy won’t be damaged by New Jersey’s downfall.
• We take a look towards the American League All-Star Game, which will take place in Hershey Jan. 31.
• In Beyond the Spotlight, we look at the first black player to play in the U.S. minor leagues, Art Dorrington.
• In his Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay wonders why so many retired goalies find their way to the broadcast both, but so few end up behind NHL benches.
• In the THN Inbox, the best letters to the editor are printed and the results of our online poll are revealed.
• Inside Hockey, we look at how the new goalie pad restrictions have affected the game this season; the villains of Kontinental League team Vityaz; and Kyle Cicerella who is still living the dream.
• In our Team Reports, we feature the NHL’s oldest goalie, Dwayne Roloson, who is once again on a Stanley Cup contender as he is eyeing the prize as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning; and we also look at Kari Lehtonen who has gained the confidence of everyone in Dallas. We also have depth charts for each of the 30 NHL teams, complete with spares, injuries and who the likely call-ups are.
• In Prospect Report we feature Martin Jones of the Manchester Monarchs, Florida prospect Nick Bjugstad who’s playing for the University of Minnesota, and Jean-Francois Leblanc of the Val-d’Or Foreurs.
• In Last Minute of Play, Larry Humber’s crossword puzzle provides a challenge for readers, Jersey Hound looks at the Central League’s Missouri Mavericks as they tribute the Kansas City Scouts with their third jersey, and our Blast From the Past picture has Terry Sawchuk as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
• In Overtime, Ken Campbell makes up an all-star team of all the players who were left out of this year’s NHL festivities.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now