In the Jan. 3, 2011 edition of The Hockey News:
• At the time, moving Dustin Byfuglien back to defense was a head-scratching move by Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay. But, as our cover story explores, with ‘Big Buff’ roaming the blueline, the Thrashers now have a Norris candidate on their hands.
• In his editor’s notebook, Jason Kay writes that a return to Quebec City sounds like a better option than most for the NHL, but it wouldn’t necessarily be a successful endeavor.
• In the THN Inbox, the best letters to the editor are printed, Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam and the results of our Norris poll are revealed.
• Inside Hockey shows the results of our poll asking teams around the league how many of their players wear visors and we explain what those totals mean; we chronicle Michael Grabner’s Twitter page during the Islanders’ 14-game losing streak; Jeremy Roenick sharks his worst injuries; and Eric Duhatschek remembers the late Jim Kelley.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau looks into the mystery of scoring booms and busts and how players try and capture the magic.
• Ryan Kennedy prepares us for the World Junior Championship in Buffalo with a preview of each team complete with predicted finish.
• Our Team Reports feature Roman Hamrlik’s strong season on Montreal’s blueline and the excitement surrounding the Columbus Blue Jackets in Ohio, plus we include each team’s depth chart with each player’s cap hit.
• Our Prospect Report looks at Cody Hodgson of the American League’s Manitoba Moose, Ian Cole of the Peoria Rivermen, Reilly Smith of the NCAA’s Miami-Ohio RedHawks, draft prospect Gabriel Landeskog of the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers and Austin Watson of the Peterborough Petes.
• In Backchecking, we recall the career of Ken Morrow, who was part of the 1980 USA Olympic hockey team.
• Beyond the Spotlight looks at Washington Nationals center fielder Nyjer Morgan, who played in the Western League before pursuing his baseball career.
• In Last Minute of Play, Larry Humber’s crossword puzzle creates a challenge for readers, Jersey Hound looks at the Cincinnati Jr. Mohawks jersey from 1968-69 and our Blast From the Past picture features a downed Terry Sawchuk.
• In Overtime, Ken Campbell explores the bodychecking rule in minor hockey and how new parameters need to be set, but figuring out the best way to do it will be a difficult task that will take time to solve.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now