In the July 5 issue of The Hockey News:
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!
• In the Stanley Cup collector’s issue, the Chicago Blackhawks finally hoist Lord Stanley’s Cup, putting an end to a 49-year drought.
• Inside the NHL looks at who’s best at what in this year’s draft class; successful post-season television ratings; and shrinking goalie pads.
• In ‘Proteau Type’ columnist Adam Proteau compares Steve Yzerman’s arrival in Tampa Bay as a GM to No. 19’s arrival in Detroit as a player back in the ‘80s.
• Writer Ryan Kennedy gives us the inside scoop on red flag prospect Kirill Kabanov.
• Our 2010 Goalie Buyer’s Guide looks at the latest in goalie equipment styles and trends.
• It was a memorable Stanley Cup final and senior writer Ken Campbell breaks down the series with six standout players and also gives his insight on the resurgence of hockey in Chicago.
• In ‘Overtime’ Eric Duhatschek argues how tough it is to win a Stanley Cup in the salary cap era.
• Adrian Dater writes about Duncan Keith’s rise from long shot to big shot defenseman.
• NHL Team Reports focuses in on the top free agents for 2011.
• In Prospect Unlimited, we profile Aaron Gagnon of the AHL’s Texas Stars and Nick Johnson of Wilkes-Barre and name out all-stars from the East and West. We also look at the Windsor Spitfires’ Memorial Cup championship and how they will try to do what no CHL team has done next season by winning their third consecutive title.
• Starting from five counts down the Blackhawks all-time single-season playoff scoring leaders.
• In the Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay looks at the magic pulled off in the desert by Coyotes GM Don Maloney and coach Dave Tippett.
• In Crowd Shots readers give their opinions in letters to the editor, Adam Proteau answers your questions in ‘Ask Adam’ and we look at the three new GMs hired: Steve Yzerman in Tampa Bay, Rick Dudley in Atlanta and Dale Tallon in Florida.
• Last Minute of Play looks at 45-year-old Dominik Hasek signing a one-year deal in the Kontinental League, Larry Humber’s crossword and hockeysockpuppettheatre are featured and the Brandon Wheat Kings’ commemorative jerseys from the Memorial Cup appears in Jersey Hound.