• It’s our ‘Genius Issue’ as our writers look at the brightest minds in hockey both on and off the ice, including Chicago’s Scotty Bowman and Jonathan Toews.
• Inside the NHL looks at Antti Niemi’s scenic route to the NHL; Joe Nieuwendyk’s quest for the Hall of Fame; too many men on the ice penalties in this year’s playoffs; and the wave of top prospects coming from California.
• Ryan Kennedy gives a sneak peek into the first round of the draft with THN’s 2010 mock draft.
• Senior writer Ken Campbell looks at how the smaller skilled players are taking the NHL forefront in ‘In the Slot.’
• Adam Proteau discusses Philly’s dominant defense corps in ‘Proteau Type.’
• In Overtime, Eric Duhatschek discusses how San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson has done a dynamite job, even though they haven’t hoisted the Stanley Cup.
• Goaltenders are the focus in NHL Team Reports.
• Prospects Unlimited focuses in on Hamilton Bulldogs goaltender Cedrick Desjardins, Manchester Monarchs left winger George ‘Bud’ Holloway and Quebec League playoff MVP Gabriel Bourque and gives you all you need to know on the IHL, USHL, ECHL and Canadian junior leagues.
• Beyond the Spotlight looks at a cancer-stricken Yale Bulldogs women’s forward, Mandi Schwartz.
• In the Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay writes about how, despite how unpopular he is, Gary Bettman knows what he’s doing as NHL commissioner.
• In Crowd Shots, your letters to the editor discuss Montreal Canadiens fans, an award for Mr. Hockey, bringing the Jets back to Winnipeg and trophies for post-season accomplishments. Adam Proteau also answers your questions in ‘Ask Adam’ and the best and worst in the hockey world is featured in Plus/Minus.
• Inside the numbers provides important statistics surrounding some of the top players in junior hockey and gives in-depth stats on NHL goaltenders.
• In Last Minute of Play, Jersey Hound looks at the gutsy Chicoutimi Saueneens look from the early-‘80s, Larry Humber’s Crossword puzzle challenges readers and Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre provides a laugh.