In the May 10 issue of The Hockey News:
• The THN Awards are front and center. We hand out our own awards as voted on by THN staff, NHL experts and the fans. Some of the biggest names are back and some new faces jump to the fore, headlining the best the league had to offer in 2009-10.
• Inside the NHL explains how the upcoming draft isn’t just a two horse race; how Sabres coach Lindy Ruff squeezes the most out of his teams year in and year out; why the seeming epidemic of diving isn’t sounding any alarms for referees; and how a volcano left scouts stranded overseas.
• In The Slot, Ken Campbell discusses how playoff goaltending is made out to be more important than it is and why scoring, coaching and defense needs to lead a team to the championship.
• In Overtime, Eric Duhatschek takes a look at how St. Louis has nothing to be blue about with a team full of young talent and why next year is their year to go above and beyond.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau chooses 20 NHLers who represent his preferred style of hockey to make up a salary cap-compliant squad.
• Plus/Minus presents the best and worst from around the hockey world, from Philadelphia’s playoff victory to conspiracy-crazy fans ragging on the refs.
• Starting From 5 looks at the best players taken with the third overall pick in the draft.
• In Fresh Legs, Ottawa Senators right winger Ryan Keller recalls his first NHL game against Patrick Elias, Martin Brodeur and the Devils.
• Adam Proteau answers your questions about Sheldon Souray and rules on icing in Ask Adam.
• Ken Campbell compares a few youngsters in the NHL today to the legends who came before them and looks to the next line of stars who may carry the torch onward in ‘The Circle of Life.’
• NHL Team Reports focus on what each franchise’s goals are for the summer.
• Prospects Unlimited gives you the lowdown on what’s happening in the AHL, KHL, ECHL, QMJHL, WHL, OHL and NCAA featuring some elite Europeans, the champion Boston College Eagles and Tyler Seguin of the Plymouth Whalers.
• Inside the Numbers takes a look at the underlying stats when examining potential award winners this year.
• Beyond the Spotlight looks at standing amputee hockey players who want their sport to be part of the Paralympic Games.
• Last minute of play has Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre, Larry Humber’s crossword and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound, which features the one-time Toronto Maple Leafs affiliate, Cincinnati Tigers.
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now