In the Nov. 2 issue of The Hockey News:
• Tired of hockey’s recent financial focus? We were, too – so we’re re pleased to present our first No Money Issue. Ken Campbell writes the cover story on Shane Doan, Captain Coyote.
• In Overtime, Eric Duhatschek plays six degrees of hockey separation with Cliff Fletcher, explaining his ties to new GMs Joe Nieuwendyk and Chuck Fletcher.
• You’ll never need to rent an NHL-themed costume after following Adam Proteau’s tips on how to create your own in Proteau Type.
• In the Slot, Ken Campbell opines on letting players develop outside the NHL.
• Inside the NHL gets in the middle of things with New York Rangers center Brandon Dubinsky. It’s five for fighting and other infractions as Top 5 counts down the leaders in penalty minutes among active NHLers. THN also plays odds maker and looks at the probability of a team scoring after pulling its goalie.
• Snapshots and plus/minus has the best and worst around the league.
• Theo Fleury exorcises some of his demons in conversation with Ken Campbell about his gripping autobiography, Playing with Fire.
• In Crowd Shots, the best letters to the editor are featured, Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam and we pick Ryan Suter’s brain in Fan Shootout.
• No, that’s not a flashback to the Czech 1998 squad in our Olympic Tracker. Dominik Hasek really is on the 60-man roster and has a serious shot at making the team.
• NHL Depth Charts are back – every player, every team, including injuries, spares and next in line
• NHL Team Reports doesn’t shy away from the sticky issue of players who hold teams together. Check your team’s Glue Guy.
• In the International Report, the Kontinental League is again under scrutiny for player safety on and off the ice. Eye on Europe gives the low-down on SM-liiga scoring leader Tuomas Kiiskinen.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we take a look at Rochester’s Alexander Salak and Manchester’s Andrei Loktionov of the American League. The NCAA spotlight shines on Clarkson’s Bryan Rufenach and our Major Jr. eyes are on Kingston Frontenac Erik Gudbranson.
• Inside the Numbers pinpoints No. 1 overall draft picks who potted points in their NHL debuts.
• Last Minute of Play features Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre cartoon, Larry Humber’s hockey crossword puzzle and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound gets retro with the Atlantic City Sea Gulls.