In our annual goalie issue Miikka Kiprusoff of the Calgary Flames graces the cover as he chases 50 wins.
In the March 2 edition of The Hockey News:
• It’s our annual goalie issue: From Niklas Backstrom’s meteoric rise through the ranks in Minnesota to the risks and rewards of drafting a goalie in the first round, THN examines the best puck-stoppers in the game today.
• Senior writer Ken Campbell breaks down the characteristics of “The Perfect Goalie.” From Steve Mason’s size to Miikka Kiprusoff’s eyes, Campbell runs down which NHL goalies’ traits he would use to build the ultimate beast of the crease.
• In Overtime, back page columnist Eric Duhatschek discusses what it will take for Miikka Kiprusoff to become the first netminder to win 50 games in a season.
• Columnist Adam Proteau examines the most recent goalie to find success in Nashville, Pekka Rinne.
• Editor in Chief Jason Kay discusses the best way to measure goalie greatness and how modern changes to the game created a new standard of success.
• Inside the NHL’s Player Poll shows the recognition Tim Thomas has received from his peers and we discover the origin of pulling the goalie.
• THN Senior Writer Ken Campbell looks at New Jersey’s success without Martin Brodeur and how the legendary netminder is confident he’ll be No. 1 again upon his return.
• We count down the top five players who NHL goaltenders hate to face and Bling Bling looks at Andrew Cogliano’s wheels.
• THN explores the ins and outs of drafting goaltending talent in the first round and highlights the top 11 goaltenders who are looking to crack the NHL ranks.
• In Best from the Net THN Senior Editor Sam McCaig reminisces about the best moments from the NHL/THN All-Star Party in Montreal and other happenings during the weekend.
• THN looks at the roller-coaster lifestyle of the NHL netminder and ranks the top 30 goaltenders in the NHL today.
• NHL Team Reports looks at each team’s outlook between the pipes, from the Columbus Blue Jackets who are confident in front of Steve Mason, to Roberto Luongo’s love affair with practice.
• Prospects Unlimited profiles Al Montoya of the San Antonio Rampage, Alexandre Giroux of the Hershey Bears, Evander Kane of the Vancouver Giants, and Alex Stalock of the Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs. We also expect Keaton Ellerby to get the call from the Florida Panthers.
• The International Report looks at ex-NHLer Ray Emery who is using his success in the Kontinental League to pave his way back to the NHL, and Eye on Europe examines how Johan Holmqvist’s recent international success may afford him an NHL opportunity in the future.
• In Crowd Shots, the best letters to the editor are featured, Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam and Kris Versteeg of the Chicago Blackhawks takes some fire in Fan Shootout.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Depth charts, including first power play unit and next in line for each of the 30 NHL franchises.
• Last Minute of Play features Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre cartoon, Larry Humber’s hockey crossword puzzle and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound looks at the Milwaukee Admirals’ baby blue third jersey.