In the Jan. 26 edition of The Hockey News:
• In the wake of Don Sanderson’s death, THN examines the role fighting plays in hockey today and allows voices from all sides of the debate to weigh in, from former GM Jay Feaster to NHLer tough guy Todd Fedoruk to TSN analyst Pierre McGuire.
• Senior writer Ken Campbell discusses the pros and cons of Team Canada’s annual domination of the World Junior Championship.
• In Overtime, back-page columnist Eric Duhatschek asks whether this is the year the NHL trade deadline goes from frenzy to footnote.
• Columnist Adam Proteau writes that the NHL needs to take the Winter Classic to the next level in order to draw new fans to the game.
• Editor in Chief Jason Kay writes about THN’s stance on fighting in hockey and the need for debate on the subject.
• Inside the NHL takes a look at the world junior players whose draft value rose and fell, and discusses the highlights of the upcoming All-Star weekend in Montreal.
• In an eight-page promotional feature, the American League All-Star Classic details how the league offers the spotlight to the NHL’s up-and-comers.
• NHL Team Reports look at the each club’s progress halfway through the season and grades them from their goalies to their forwards.
• Prospects Unlimited profiles Ryan White of the Hamilton Bulldogs, Rod Pelley of the Lowell Devils, Jake Allen of the Montreal Juniors and Brendan Smith of the Wisconsin Badgers. We also expect Ben Lovejoy to get the call from the Penguins and note the AHL’s top set-up men on the power play.
• In Crowd Shots, the best letters to the editor are featured, Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam and Gregory Campbell of the Panthers serves 2 Minutes in the Box.
• In our International Report, we examine the impact of the sinking global economy on the future of the Kontinental League. We also keep an eye on Europe and some long-standing records that may soon be broken.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Depth charts, including first power play unit and next in line, for each of the 30 NHL franchises.
• Last Minute of Play features a hockeysockpuppettheatre cartoon, Larry Humber’s hockey crossword puzzle and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound, this week featuring a Canada ’09 throwback.