Tim Thomas has seen a lot of destinations during his pro-hockey career, but has finally found a home in Boston.
In the Dec. 15 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story profiles the Bruins’ Tim Thomas, who has finally established himself as a No. 1 goalie after playing on nine professional teams in five leagues.
• THN explains why this year’s Sharks are different from previous teams who couldn’t carry their regular-season success into the playoffs.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell says the key to success for new Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke will be in making astute draft selections, something his predecessors in Toronto failed miserably at.
• In Overtime, back-page columnist Eric Duhatschek examines the predicament Red Wings GM Ken Holland finds himself in with his trio of stars, Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen and Marian Hossa, who are all set to become unrestricted free agents at season’s end.
• The Opinion Page says St. Louis is set to return to the success of their past thanks to their new management team, led by John Davidson.
• Adam Proteau profiles Montreal’s rising young star off the ice, director of player recruitment and development Tim Timmins.
• Editor-in-chief Jason Kay discusses the difficulty teams have in projecting NHL caliber goalies like the Bruins’ Thomas.
• In Beyond the Spotlight, we reminisce about one of hockey’s great old barns - Windsor Arena, home of the OHL’s Spitfires, which played host to its final game on Dec. 4.
• Inside the NHL examines how teams like the Penguins have contributed to an increase in third period comebacks this season. The section also takes a look at the NHL coaches who have made their debuts this season, discusses how the league is ‘going green’ and remembers the youngest NHLer ever, Armand ‘Bep’ Guidolin, who made his debut at the age of 16 and passed away recently.
• With head shots again rearing their ugly head, the THN Player Poll asks NHLers if the league should automatically penalize any hit to the head?
• Snapshots highlights stories making headlines in hockey.
• NHL Team Reports gives a breakdown of each club at the quarter-point of the season.
• In our International Report, we examine how teams in the Kontinental League stack up with other European squads.
• Prospects Unlimited profiles Panthers prospect Shawn Matthias as well as Sabres prospect Tim Kennedy, who is leading all AHL rookies in scoring. We also take a look at Matt Duchene of the Brampton Battalion, ranked No. 4 by the ISS for the 2009 NHL draft, and another Sabres prospect who is making a name for himself in the college ranks, Matt Generous of the St. Lawrence Saints.
• Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam.
• Starting From 5 counts down the top players 5-foot-8 and under.
• NHL depth charts – with first PP unit – for all 30 clubs.
• In Fresh Legs, Atlanta’s rookie defenseman Nathan Oystrick talks about his first NHL game.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Readers get their say in Letters to the Editor.
• Brad Boyes responds to readers’ questions in Fan Shootout.
• Inside the Numbers takes a look at player and team stats after 20 games.