In the Dec. 1 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story looks at the rebirth of the Chicago Blackhawks and talks about how the team is taking the Windy City by storm.
• THN examines how NHL teams are switching from a trapping strategy made famous by the Devils to a puck possession game that has been popularized by Detroit.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell breaks down the track record of free agent GM Brian Burke.
• In Overtime, back-page columnist Eric Duhatschek takes a look at the ongoing development of Boston’s Marc Savard, who keeps putting up points without receiving much fanfare.
• The Opinion Page says if things stay the way they have been in South Florida, the Panthers will continue to struggle for fans.
• Adam Proteau profiles Trent Klatt’s role in reforming the NHLPA in his Proteau Type column.
• Editor-in-chief Jason Kay discusses issues surrounding media ethics and the elements that are taken into consideration when deciding what gets published and what doesn’t.
• In Beyond the Spotlight, we examine how Bill Bowker, the coach of the Jr. A team in Smiths Falls, Ont., saved a franchise that was described just four years ago as being “the worst team in junior hockey.”
• Inside the NHL gives a progress report on the projected top-10 draft eligible players for 2009.
• We talk about how the Rangers are seeking a compensatory pick for the loss of 2006 first round pick Alexei Cherepanov.
• A look at the make-up of the NHL from a nationality standpoint.
• Snapshots highlights stories making headlines in hockey.
• NHL Team Reports looks at the unique cultures and identities of each NHL club dressing room.
• In our International Report, we examine the ongoing process of selling the KHL to Russian hockey fans.
• Prospects Unlimited profiles Austrian Michael Grabner, a 2006 first round pick by Vancouver, and the well-traveled Johnny Boychuk of the Providence Bruins. We also take a look at 2009 draft hopeful Philippe Paradis of the Shawinigan Cataractes and the Minnesota Gophers Ryan Stoa, a Colorado draft-pick who is being mentioned as an early Hobey Baker candidate.
• Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam.
• Starting from 5 counts down the top five players who are All-Star Game worthy, but do not appear on the ballot.
• NHL depth charts – with first PP unit – for all 30 clubs.
• Fresh Legs features Flyers rookie defenseman Lucas Sbisa, who talks about his first NHL game.
• A special advertising feature looks at the growth of U.S. college hockey and discusses the advantages of the college game with six prominent hockey men who all have backgrounds at the NCAA level.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Readers get their say in Letters to the Editor.
• We spend 2 Minutes in the Box with Detroit’s Derek Meech.
• Inside the Numbers gives every AHL player’s point totals and looks at the success rate of having an extra attacker on the ice.
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!