In the Nov. 24 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story profiles Toronto’s new polite-but-punishing defenseman Luke Schenn and examines nine other rookies who will be vying for the Calder Trophy.
• We take a look at all the elite right-handed defenseman who are entering the league .
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell explains how the CBA hasn’t worked the way the NHL said it would.
• In Overtime, back-page columnist Eric Duhatschek looks at the two super sophomores on the Phoenix Coyotes, Martin Hanzal and Peter Mueller.
• In the Opinion Page we examine hockey’s most venomous player rivalry, Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
• Adam Proteau asks whether the Thrashers should trade their superstar, Ilya Kovalchuk before his contract expires in 2010 in Proteau Type.
• Editor-in-chief Jason Kay offers some suggestions on how to better protect the young teens who are entering junior hockey in light of the recent sexual misconduct stories that have made headlines recently.
• In Beyond the Spotlight, we catch up with the well-traveled Jay North – the first high school hockey player selected in the NHL entry draft.
• Inside the NHL features Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Ducks, who defends both his style and the goalie equipment he wears.
• A look at the 5-on-3 statistics for this season.
• THN.com blogger Ben Clymer http://www.thehockeynews.com/blogs/178-Ben-Clymer.html of the KHL’s Dynamo Minsk, talks about his experiences playing the first game against Alexei Cherepanov’s former team after his tragic passing.
• NHL Team Reports look at the rookies making an impact on each NHL club.
• In our International Report, we explain why KHL team Vityaz Chekhov was fined $18,000 for having too many Canadians on the ice.
• Prospects Unlimited profiles Red Wings youngster Justin Abdelkader, Edmonton draft pick Ryan Potulny, big-time Flyer prospect James van Riemsdyk and projected 2009 first round pick Landon Ferraro of the Red Deer Rebels.
• Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam.
• Starting from 5 counts down the top five players who have been surprisingly good so far this season.
• NHL depth charts – with first PP unit – for all 30 clubs.
• Part 2 of 2 of our 2008 Holiday Gift Guide features 2008’s hot third jerseys, the popularity of game-worn jerseys, new DVD releases and the merchandise being sold for the Winter Classic and the Canadiens’ 100th anniversary.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Readers get their say in Letters to the Editor.
• The ‘Canes Tuomu Ruutu answers readers’ questions in Fan Shootout.
• Inside the Numbers gives every player’s point totals and looks at which teams are getting the most scoring from their bluelines.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now