In the Nov. 17 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story gives you 19 things you should know about the Avalanche’s incomparable captain and future Hall of Famer Joe Sakic.
• A look at the Bruins battle to capture some of the sporting spotlight in a competitive Boston market.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell talks about the CBA ramifications of teams rushing their young players to the NHL.
• In Overtime, back-page columnist Eric Duhatschek remembers the special relationship he had with junior hockey legend Ed Chynoweth, who earlier this year.
• We catch up with soon-to-be Hall of Famer Glenn Anderson.
• Adam Proteau looks at the ongoing problem of concussions in the NHL and wonders why the league isn’t doing more to address the problem in his Proteau Type column.
• Editor-in-chief Jason Kay explains why Bob Gainey’s proposal to examine the rules around shot-blocking deserves to be heard with an open mind and not immediately dismissed.
• Inside the NHL takes a look at some of the goaltenders who could potentially be on the move between now and the NHL’s trade deadline.
• A breakdown of player and team shootout stats.
• An examination of the teams that are impacted – for better or worse – by the NHL’s travel schedule.
• NHL Team Reports examine players on each club who have stepped up this season by playing more minutes and a bigger role.
• In our International Report, we talk about the safety measures the KHL has implemented since the death of Alexei Cherepanov.
• Prospects Unlimited looks at the development of Calgary Flames prospect Kris Chucko, as well as how veteran defenseman Kyle McLaren is handling his demotion to the AHL. We also profile Guelph Storm goalie and Detroit Red Wings prospect Thomas McCollum and Erik Condra, an Ottawa Senators draft pick who is leading the Notre Dame Fighting Irish both on and off the ice.
• Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam.
• Starting from 5 counts down the top five young stars trying to avoid the dreaded sophomore jinx.
• NHL depth charts – with first PP unit – for all 30 clubs.
• We go Beyond the Spotlight with Patrick Roy’s father Michel, who has written an interesting biography on his Hall of Fame son.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Readers get their say in Letters to the Editor.
• We spend 2 Minutes in the Box with Calgary’s Curtis Glencross.
• The Panthers Michael Frolik talks about what his first NHL game was like in Fresh Legs.
• Inside the Numbers takes a look at the players and teams who are off to hot starts.
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!