Aaron Voros skates on the ice against the Chicago Blackhawks. (Photo by Scott Levy/NHLI via Getty Images)
The good thing about basic hockey pools is they’re no-nonsense. You show up, draft players, hope for the best and check out the standings from time to time.
The bad thing about basic pools is you don’t get a chance to pick up players who slipped through the cracks. That’s why there are tons of interactive pools that allow you to drop and add players on a whim. Here are 10 players who certainly grabbed the attention of many poolies through the first week of NHL action.
10. Derick Brassard, Columbus. Had just two points in 17 NHL games last year, three in three games this year.
9. Patrik Berglund, St. Louis. Quietly rose to No. 5 overall in THN’s Future Watch, now averaging point per game.
8. Niclas Havelid, Atlanta. Averaging 23 points in eight seasons, some poolies will be duped by his four assists in three games.
7. Bryan Little, Atlanta. Many poolies weren’t convinced he’d be able to generate offense like this – five points in three games - right away.
6. Dan Girardi, Rangers. With five assists in five games, third-year defenseman sure to pass high of 28 points last year.
5. Alex Burrows, Vancouver. With three points in three games, this gritty grinder showing poise with puck as well. You know he’ll rack up the PIMs.
4. Alex Auld, Ottawa. Looked sharp in first start, a victory. He could steal time from Gerber.
3. Guillaume Latendresse, Montreal. Third-year third-liner now scoring like a first-liner with three points in three outings.
2. Derek Dorsett, Columbus. In pools with PIMs, his track record and 23 minutes in two games is gold.
1. Aaron Voros, Rangers. Providing both PIMs and production – seven points in five games - so far, but seriously, how long can it last?
The THN.com Top 10 appears Wednesdays only on thehockeyenews.com.
If you enjoy this feature, subscribe to The Hockey News magazine for the exclusive countdown, Starting From 10, and other great features from the world of hockey.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now