In the Oct. 14 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story examines the transformation of the Edmonton Oilers into a big spender and a favorite to win the Northwest Division this year.
• A look at 10 under-the-radar NHLers you need to know about this season.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell explains why he doesn’t expect the Pittsburgh Penguins to be as good as they were last season.
• Adam Proteau examines the changing structure of the NHL and whether expansion is a viable option for the future, in his Proteau Type column.
• In Overtime, new back-page columnist Eric Duhatschek is welcomed back by THN and recalls his first ever cover story written for the magazine.
• Editor-in-chief Jason Kay talks about his fascination with the Edmonton Oilers and welcomes back “The Hat.”
• A tribute to Jack Falla, one of the game’s best writers, who recently passed away.
• Inside the NHL looks at a proposed two-year plan to further minimize goaltender equipment, as well as a new rule the NHL hopes will curtail contact on races for the puck.
• On the Opinion Page, Bob Duff believes this year’s edition of the Detroit Red Wings is the best one since the days of Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay and Red Kelly.
• See which players need a hot start to the season in our Team Reports.
• In our International Report, we take a look at the new Kontinental League and the familiar faces toiling on its ice rinks.
• Former Rangers goalie Mike Richter’s campaign to help the planet.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we profile Ducks prospect Logan MacMillan and his journey in his father Bob’s footsteps, as well as news from the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL.
• Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam.
• Starting from 10 counts down the milestones sure to be reached this season.
• NHL depth charts – with first PP unit and rookie hopefuls - for all 30 clubs.
• We go Beyond the Spotlight to witness Tim Schmalz’s design for a national monument to the frozen game.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Readers get their say in Letters to the Editor.
• Inside the Numbers examines key player statistics after the NHL lockout, as well as top scorers from the QMJHL, OHL, WHL and KHL.
• Spend 2 Minutes in the Box with Bruins defenseman Dennis Wideman.
• Check out our 2008-09 Minor Pro Preview, where we rank the major players in the AHL and ECHL.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now