In the September 16 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story details the recharging of the Tampa Bay Lightning over the summer with new ownership, new management and a slew of new on-ice faces.
• THN ranks NHL team goaltending from first to worst using our exclusive Goalie Confidence Index, a unique formula measuring how much a team can rely on its netminders.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell doles out some awards for “less-than-otherworldly” milestones that will be reached later this season.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau has a wide-ranging discussion with NHL Players’ Association executive director Paul Kelly.
• In Overtime, senior writer Mike Brophy discusses why the new coaches in Toronto and Long Island won’t try for a high draft pick in 2009, even if they should.
• Inside the NHL looks at the maturation of Columbus winger – and recently minted captain – Rick Nash, as well as a few teams that still have to get themselves up to or under the salary cap.
• The 2008 Stick Buyers Guide runs down all the major brands and what they have on tap this season.
• On the Opinion Page, Dan Wood opines on the state of the Anaheim Ducks and their chances for a second Stanley Cup.
• See what one player from each club did during the summer in our Team Reports.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we preview Canada’s three major junior leagues, the problems faced by super-prospect John Tavares and highlight new Rochester Americans coach Benoit Groulx, Houston Aeros netminder Nolan Schaefer, Lowell Devils center Pascal Rheaume, Milwaukee Admirals goalie Pekka Rinne and Regina Pats center Jordan Eberle.
• We go Beyond the Spotlight to see what it’s like being a member of a booster club, for NHL teams who have left town.
• Spend 2 Minutes in the Box with Sabres winger Drew Stafford.