Steven Stamkos was taken No. 1 overall by Tampa Bay at the draft and is on the cover of the latest issue.
In the July 29 issue of The Hockey News:
• In our cover story, we look at the new wave of young guys entering the NHL – how they’re better, more prepared and savvier than ever before – and give you the lowdown on the first-round picks of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
• We dissect some of the biggest deals from July 1 – Brian Campbell to Chicago, Marian Hossa to Detroit and Jose Theodore to Washington – and lay out who the top moneymakers of 2008-09 will be.
• Senior writer Ken Campbell reflects on this year’s free agency madness and its repercussions for years to come in his In the Slot column.
• Adam Proteau talks to Brett Hull about the Dallas Stars’ newest addition, agitator Sean Avery, in Proteau Type.
• In Overtime, Mike Brophy raises some questions in need of answers in the midst of this off-season.
• Inside the NHL takes a look at Jaromir Jagr’s legacy in the NHL and the implications of his move to the Kontinental Hockey League; which 2008 first-rounders plan on keeping their visors on if they make the NHL; and we remember former THN editor Len Bramson, who passed away on July 1 at the age of 83.
• In this year’s Skate Buyers’ Guide, find out who the top young skaters are in the NHL, learn from power skating coaches about the proper skating technique, and read the Q&A with skates industry experts.
• In our Opinion Page, the Vancouver Sun’s Elliot Pap looks at what Canucks’ GM Mike Gillis has accomplished after three months at the helm of the organization.
• Our NHL Team Reports give a rundown on what all 30 teams have been up to this summer.
• Prospects Unlimited looks into the American League’s new one-minute minor penalties in overtime rule; profiles Jeff Truitt, the newly-promoted head coach of the Springfield Falcons, and Rimouski Oceanic Patrice Cormier; and we also give you the scoop on minor pro leagues across North America.
• In Beyond the Spotlight, the myth of the Original Six being ‘the golden age of hockey’ is dispelled.
• Starting From 10 counts down the rookies we’re already excited about for 2008-09.
• In Rockin’ Out with Ryan Miller, find out what his favorite albums are.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now