Nicklas Lidstrom and Sidney Crosby, the faces of the franchises facing off in the Stanley Cup final, battle for the great mug.
In the June 10 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story previews what might be the most anticipated Stanley Cup final in recent memory, as the old guard of the Red Wings faceoff against the young and talented Pittsburgh Penguins.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell explores Jim Balsillie’s quest to own his very own NHL franchise and add a seventh team in Canada.
• Quest For the Cup profiles Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Chris Osgood and Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby, Marian Hossa and Marc-Andre Fleury. As well as Wings’ scout Hakan Andersson, the ’83 Cup final, and the two conference championship cities.
• We list potential candidates for this year’s Hockey Hall of Fame class, where nobody is first ballot eligible due to the lockout in 2005.
• On the Opinion Page, Chris Botta suggests 10 ways the NHL can improve the game’s popularity.
• Inside the NHL: Russia takes home the World Championship title in a thriller over Canada; A deep 2008 draft; Players intentionally missing the net; and Craig Patrick wants back in the club.
• Fresh Legs – our welcome to the NHL feature - with Kyle Turris of the Phoenix Coyotes.
• In his Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay warns Detroit hockey fans not to take its team for granted.
• In our Ask The Experts feature, we discuss what happens to players once they’re 21 and undrafted and what exactly constitutes a “foul from behind.”
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau reveals a new and improved Marian Hossa, one that is carrying his weight during the post-season.
• In Overtime, senior writer Mike Brophy wonders what’s up with the wunderkind, John Tavares.
• Our Team Reports profile each squad’s draft needs.
• Beyond the Spotlight profiles the inaugural Arab Cup, taking place in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.
• Your Letters to the Editor: World Championship refs not World Championship caliber; USA hockey on its way up; Hal Gill finally gets the credit he deserves; taking time to honor Diana Stimpert.
• Our Plus/Minus looks at the best and worst of the hockey world.
• Inside The Numbers has unique NHL stats.
• 2 Minutes in the Box with Chuck Kobasew.
• Starting From 10 counts down the best active players who have never had a chance to win the Stanley Cup.
• Best of the Books profiles The Tropic of Hockey by Dave Bidini.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we cover players and teams from the AHL, NCAA and CHL; give you the inside scoop on minor pro leagues across North America; and profile Bryan Little, Bobby Ryan and CHL Player of the Year, Justin Azevedo.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now