In the May 27 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story asks how long the dynamic duo of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin can stay together in Pittsburgh.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell explains how bigger goalie equipment isn’t the only thing keeping goal-scoring down.
• Profiles on Mike Ribiero, Johan Franzen and R.J. Umberger.
• A Memorial Cup Preview section with a profile of host city Kitchener, a story on the proud legacy the Kitchener Rangers have in the NHL, as well as a full event preview, schedule and CHL yearly award winners.
• On the Opinion Page, Aaron Portzline writes how much Columbus will miss the only owner they’ve ever had, John McConnell, who passed away April 25 at the age of 85.
• Inside the NHL: Martin Biron’s stellar playoff performance; European players becoming tougher and tougher to get across the pond; More RFA moves coming; and top World Championship players not in the NHL.
• Fresh Legs – our welcome to the NHL feature - with Robbie Earl of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
• In his Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay asks you, the reader, to vote on our annual executive and coach of the year honors.
• In our Ask The Experts feature, we discuss NHL referees’ use of the microphone and why teams switch sides in OT.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau talks about how more teams are playing the wide-open, high-scoring style that is more appealing to fans.
• In Overtime, senior writer Mike Brophy profiles the underrated Hal Gill and what he’s brought to Pittsburgh’s run to the Cup.
• Our Team Reports profile each squad’s coach and GM situation.
• Beyond the spotlight profiles the popularity of the new television show, <i>Road Hockey Rumble.
• Your Letters to the Editor: Carbonneau’s bad move in the playoffs; the rebirth of the Broad Street Bullies; some lovin’ for the Selke; one fan’s reaction to our Sean Avery cover; numbers on the front of jerseys; and a rather bleak take on officials and Gary Bettman.
• Our Plus/Minus looks at the best and worst of the hockey world.
• Inside The Numbers has unique NHL stats.
• Depth charts for all four conference final teams.
• Fan Shootout with Ryan Whitney.
• Starting From 10 counts down the surprise players of the first round of the playoffs.
• Rockin’ Out with Kyle Turris.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we cover players and teams from the AHL, NCAA and CHL; give you the inside scoop on minor pro leagues across North America; and profile Cory Schneider, Jeff Hoggan and Yann Sauve.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now