In the April 29 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story hands out the annual THN Awards. Guess who is our MVP pick?
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell wonders why we put so much emphasis on the Selke Trophy, an award that rewards the talent of defeating skill.
• Inside the NHL: Martin Brodeur’s secrets to playoff success; the NHL’s highest attendance ever; playoff ticket spikes; and hockey’s Black Aces.
• Fresh Legs – our welcome to the NHL feature - with Tobias Enstrom of the Atlanta Thrashers.
• In his Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay brings you the second annual edition of The Fannies!
• The World Championship of Hockey comes to Canada and we preview all the teams involved, including features on Shane Doan, Patrick Kane, Jason Pominville, European fans and Pat Burns’ return to coaching.
• In our Ask The Experts feature, we explain how the NHL commish might get the boot and why centers are thrown off the faceoff.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau explains that hockey is not Canada’s game, and really never has been.
• In Overtime, senior writer Mike Brophy tells the story of Darren McCarty’s long journey back to sobriety and ultimately, the Detroit Red Wings.
• Our Team Reports give you each squad’s comeback and ‘go-away’ player of the year.
• Your Letters to the Editor: strap up that chin Alfie; forget about goalie pad size; Jacques Martin’s not-so-wise words; our playoff picks, not too shabby; and Washington’s playoff spot undeserved?
• Our Plus/Minus looks at the best and worst of the hockey world.
• On The Opinion Page: why the Lightning shouldn’t even consider trading projected first overall pick, Steven Stamkos.
• Inside The Numbers has unique NHL stats.
• Depth charts for all 16 playoff teams.
• Fan Shootout with Lubomir Visnovsky.
• Starting From 10 counts down the playoff coaches still looking for their first Stanley Cup.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we cover players and teams from the AHL, NCAA and CHL; give you the inside scoop on minor pro leagues across North America; and profile Jason Krog, Michael Leighton, Justin Soryal and Alec Martinez.