Phoenix Coyotes head coach Wayne Gretzky and Dallas Stars co-GM Brett Hull have gone from star players to star managers.
In the March 25 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story reveals Wayne Gretzky and Brett Hull, version 2.0. Nobody expected to see these two former star players in the roles they currently occupy.
• Inside the NHL: Brian Campbell’s early success in San Jose.
• In his Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay discusses the merits of the Lady Byng trophy and if its name should be changed.
• On the Opinion Page, Joe Starkey shoots down any rumor that Evgeni Malkin might be traded and tells the Pens that signing the star Russian to a long-term deal is a must.
• In our Ask The Experts feature, we find out what the deal is with TV timeouts.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau examines the Russian Revolution going on in Washington, with its newest addition, Sergei Fedorov.
• Our Team Reports look at each club’s chances during the stretch drive.
• While other teams make additions through trades and free agency, the Devils are able to remain consistent from within and once again are among the top teams in the East.
• Your letters to the editor deal with ads on goalie equipment, keeping the play alive after hitting the mesh above the net, trading Colby Armstrong, more back-to-back divisional games, ‘distinct kicking motions’ and reading THN across the pond.
• Beyond The Spotlight talks about Don Brankley’s nearly 40 years as trainer of the London Knights.
• Features highlighting an NHL swingman, Mark Streit, who plays both forward and defense for the Habs and some of the great, late-season playoff pushes in history.
• In Fresh Legs – our welcome to the NHL feature – we highlight Blackhawks forward, Patrick Kane.
• Our Plus/Minus looks at the best and worst of the hockey world.
• In Snapshots, refs have a bad week, Andrew Raycroft’s fall from grace and our…ahem…slight, of Carey Price.
• In Overtime, senior writer Mike Brophy highlights how Jason Arnott has assured this season would not be a failure for the Nashville Predators.
• Inside The Numbers has unique and team-by-team NHL stats.
• Updated NHL depth charts.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell discusses how the lack of a transfer agreement between the NHL and the Russian Federation won’t keep talented players from coming to North America.
• Fan Shootout with Chris Higgins.
• Starting From 10 counts down the top-10 players from this season who the hockey world shouldn’t have given up on.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we cover players and teams from the AHL, NCAA and CHL; give you the inside-scoop on minor pro leagues across North America; and profile Cal Clutterbuck, Rob Schremp, Ivan Vishnevskiy and Tyler Eckford.