Despite facing injury issues this season, Jonathan Toews is still in the running for the Calder Trophy.
In the Mar. 11 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our cover story talks about the race for the Calder Trophy between Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Nicklas Backstrom, Peter Mueller and Tobias Enstrom.
• Features on Marion Gaborik’s five-goal game and the return of Jose Theodore.
• Inside the NHL: The Chicago Blackhawks have used how many rookies this year?
• In his Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay tells the NHL why the CBA needs some tweaking to keep all 30 teams safe and sound.
• On the Opinion Page, Jay Greenberg debates whether the NHL belongs in Kansas City or Canada.
• In our Ask The Experts feature, we find out what happens with a pending double minor penalty after a goal is scored.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau examines the possibility of putting advertising on goalie jerseys.
• Our Team Reports look at different roommate pairings across the NHL.
• The surprising emergence of minor league journeyman Bruce Boudreau, now head coach of the Washington Capitals.
• Your letters to the editor deal with neck protectors, conference playoff rankings, the real reason fighting in the NHL is up and the biggest Buffalo blunder of them all.
• Beyond The Spotlight talks about the untimely death of would-be superstar from the 1970s, Viktor Khatulev.
• In Fresh Legs – our welcome to the NHL feature – we highlight Flyers winger, Claude Giroux.
• Our Plus/Minus looks at the best and worst of the hockey world.
• In Snapshots, goalie Drew MacIntyre scores in overtime, John Ferguson Jr. sticks up for himself on TV and Brian Burke wants shorter penalties.
• In Overtime, senior writer Mike Brophy wonders if the secret to playoff success is…Mike Commodore’s playoff beard?
• Inside The Numbers has unique NHL stats and team-by-team AHL stats.
• Updated NHL depth charts.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell discusses what a waste of time it is to keep bringing up the debate over goalie pad size when the NHL could do a myriad of other things to improve offense.
• 2 Minutes in the Box with Alex Edler.
• Starting From 10 counts down the top-10 players who were traded at last year’s deadline that teams might want back.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we cover players and teams from the AHL, NCAA and CHL; give you the inside-scoop on minor pro leagues across North America; and profile Brock Trotter, Petr Vrana, Jim O’Brien, and Nathan Gerbe.