In the Feb. 5 issue of The Hockey News:
• Three of the best defensemen in the league grace our cover this week, and they all belong to the Anaheim Ducks. Are they ready to repeat?
• The 2008 Summer Hockey School Guide.
• Inside The NHL: Patrick Sharp’s shorthanded prowess and how shootouts are keeping a few teams in the mix.
• Jason Kay’s Editor’s Notebook announces the comeback of the stats pages.
• In our opinion section, Larry Brooks suggests this could be Jaromir Jagr’s last season as a New York Ranger.
• Senior writer Ken Campbell myth busts the legend of greed surrounding the slumping Toronto Maple Leafs in his In The Slot column.
• We ask NHL bench bosses Peter Laviolette and Marc Crawford about what they do in practice to rejuvenate a cold power play unit.
• Fans get answers to questions about a call by Kerry Fraser and the formula for the plus-minus stat in our Ask The Experts feature.
• Team Reports highlight the best rookies on all 30 teams.
• Senior writer Mike Brophy weighs in on the future of Jared Staal in his Overtime column.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we cover players and teams from the AHL, NCAA and the CHL; give you the inside-scoop on minor pro leagues across North America; and profile Jeff Woywitka, T.J. Fox, Bobby Sanguinetti and James van Riemsdyk.
• Your Letters To The Editor discuss the 100 People of Power, the sale of the Wild to Craig Leipold, video replay on penalties and changes to the All-Star Game.
• Adam Proteau discusses the problems Darryl Sutter will have signing all the free agents Calgary has this off-season in his Proteau Type column.
• Hurricanes defenseman Casey Borer is the subject of our Fresh Legs column – our welcome to the NHL feature.
• Plus/Minus looks at the best and worst of hockey.
• In Snapshots, we mention the high possibility a team from the Southeast Division could get a playoff spot with fewer points than the ninth place team; Shanahan’s honesty about a cheap shot; and Jay Feaster takes the rap for the “mess” in Tampa Bay.
• Updated NHL depth charts.
• 2 Minutes In The Box with David Booth.
• Petr Prucha’s new luxury car is featured in our Bling Bling segment.
• Elliot Pap writes about the development of the Sedin twins in Vancouver and what it’s like for twins to play on the same team.