The prizes of the next two NHL Entry Drafts, Steven Stamkos and John Tavares, are reasons for the Los Angeles Kings to stay bad.
In the Jan. 29 issue of The Hockey News:
- In the cover story, we have two words for the Los Angeles Kings: Stay Bad!
- The AHL All-Star Classic Preview.
- Inside The NHL: Over-35 goalies are playing like kids again.
- In his editor’s Notebook Jason Kay questions the old adage that a good fight can change a game’s momentum.
- On the Opinion Page Aaron Portzline says that whether they’re in the playoffs or not at the trade deadline, the Blue Jackets should consider being sellers.
- In his In The Slot Column Senior Writer Ken Campbell says that pre-lockout free agent greed has been replaced by post-lockout free agent fear.
- In our Ask The Experts feature we answer your questions about the world of hockey.
- Team Reports tell you who the ‘glue guy’ is on each of the 30 NHL teams.
- In Overtime, senior writer Mike Brophy ponders who should be named to Team Canada’s coaching staff for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
- In Prospects Unlimited, we cover players and teams from the AHL, NCAA and the CHL; give you the inside-scoop on minor pro leagues across North America; and profile Justin Pogge, Pascal Pelletier, Kelsey Tessier and Ryan McDonagh.
- Your Letters To The Editor discuss the great people of the NHL, Sergei Fedorov, Don Cherry on U.S. television and the Winter Classic.
- Beyond The Spotlight profiles a former first round pick who has gone on to make a name for himself in a number of fields outside of hockey.
- In Fresh Legs – our welcome to the NHL feature – we highlight Senators center Cody Bass.
- Our Plus/Minus looks at the best and worst of hockey.
- In Snapshots, we mention Nicklas Backstrom’s rise to the top of the Calder crop; Jonathan Cheechoo’s fall from grace; and the NHL’s most dangerous shorthanded teams.
- Inside The Numbers looks at the NHL’s clutch scorers.
- Updated NHL depth Charts.
- Fan Shootout with Marian Gaborik.