In the Jan. 8 issue of The Hockey News:
• Our ninth annual People of Power and Influence issue ranks the 100 most powerful people in hockey and highlights a new No. 1: Sidney Crosby.
• Inside the NHL: could Evgeni Nabokov play every game for the San Jose Sharks this season?
• Why a 30-game suspension wasn’t enough for Chris Simon.
• In Overtime, senior writer Mike Brophy profiles the Hurricanes’ Matt Cullen.
• In his Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay says new NHLPA director Paul Kelly has a chance to change the sports world.
• On The Opinion Page, Jay Greenberg makes some humorous predictions for 2008.
• Alan Adams discusses Sidney Crosby’s rise to power.
• In his In The Slot column, senior writer Ken Campbell says fear is becoming reality for NHL GMs when it comes to unrestricted free agents.
• In our Ask The Experts feature, we answer your questions about the world of hockey.
• Your letters to the editor discuss Mike Richards, the Florida Panthers franchise, Adam Oates, the NHL Network and more.
• In Proteau Type, web columnist Adam Proteau sits down with Paul Kelly for a Q & A session.
• Our Team reports focus on the top prospects for each of the 30 NHL clubs.
• NHL Depth Charts make their return to THN.
• Beyond the Spotlight looks at the NHL’s version of ‘Moonlight’ Graham.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we cover players and teams from the AHL, NCAA and the CHL; give you the inside-scoop on minor pro leagues across North America; and profile Matt Pelech, Dan Jancevski, Josh Unice and Kevin Porter.
• Our Plus/Minus looks at the best and worst of hockey.
• In Starting from 10, we count down the top-10 NHLers who could be playing in the world junior championship, but aren’t.
• In Fresh Legs – our welcome to the NHL feature – we highlight Kyle Chipchura.