Mike Babcock said Pavel Datsyuk is the best player in the NHL, but is he even the best player on his team?
Think the Kings, who now sit last in the Western Conference behind even the Coyotes, wish they were in this position a month ago when the Ducks put Ilya Bryzgalov on waivers?
With the second-worst GAA in the league at 3.34, Los Angeles will never compete for a playoff spot as long as their crease woes – which were in full effect during Wednesday’s 6-2 loss in Detroit - continue. (Phoenix’s GAA, by the way, has dropped from 3.50 to 2.72 since acquiring Cool Bryz)
• It didn’t really matter how long the league suspended Chris Simon for, he’ll never play another NHL game.
• Overseas or state side, trying to start a rival league to compete against an already-established monolith is a tough row to hoe.
Just ask anyone who ever played in, or was affiliated with, the XFL.
• The Senators may have lost a Fisher (as in Mike, who suffered an oblique muscle strain Saturday), but at least they already had a Bass (as in Cody, who Ottawa recalled from Binghamton as a result of Fisher’s injury).
• “(T)he best player in the league right now is (Pavel) Datsyuk, without any question.” So says Red Wings coach Mike Babcock.
Mike, you’re a great coach, but you’re also a touch delusional if you think there is a single GM who wouldn’t swap Datsyuk for Sid or Vinny in a heartbeat.
Datsyuk may not even be the best player on your team (Zetterberg)…in fact, he may not even be the second best player on your team (Lidstrom).
• Many readers thought Mike Brophy was off his rocker for suggesting the Caps look at trading Alex Ovechkin. A few even claimed Washington’s already dismal attendance figures would drop further if such a deal were to take place.
That may be the case short-term, but the fact is, nothing puts butts in seats like winning, and the right deal involving Ovie would hasten the process of the Capitals becoming a playoff team again.
• And the other thing: With the 25th less than a week away, I’d like to wish all our readers a happy holiday season. May you receive all the composite sticks your hearts desire.
For more great profiles, news and views from the world of hockey, Subscribe to The Hockey News magazine.
AdvertisementThis Week - Subscribe Now